Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Musical meandering...thanks to NPR and Prince

"Hearting" NPR like always, I wanted to sing thanks and praises for Bob Boilen, who I tried to befriend on Facebook, but he hasn't accepted me yet. At least I am on the NPR Community! No friends yet, however. I am a late bloomer, as most people know.

I love so many things, like the story If Abraham Lincoln Had An iPod, which makes me want to go and create Dostoyevsky's and Mandela's and Mao's iPod! I could waste a lot of time, but it would be fun!

I also love the last edition of All Songs Considered, especially the new Morrissey, Lily Allen and K'naan track. And who know Jason Schwartzman was a musician, until Bob Boilen's last show?

Finally, keeping it real, my old lady and I watched Purple Rain last night. She was a Purple Rain virgin, if you can believe that. It stirred up many memories!

First, André Cymone, "Survin in the 80s", which was certainly better than the cleverly named next album, "AC". I believe I have discovered my new look.






Then, a surprise to realize Jesse Johnson is still alive and on myspace???


Vanity was not. Nor did her acting inspire me to do anything more than download Nasty Girl, which is entirely legal since I own it, I think.


The main surprise was that Wendy and Lisa, the obvious heart and soul behind Purple Rain (according to the film) are still making music! They are also on myspace.


Such things I did not know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy and Lisa are also on Twitter and Facebook! They are hilarious on Twitter, you should check them out: http://twitter.com/wendyandlisa

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wendy-and-Lisa-Official-Artist-Page/21076963749

LeDuc said...

Wow...

I recognised each individual word you had written, but I don't think I understood a single sentence in this entire post.

I feel so, so old.

Pavlusha34 said...

Wendy and Lisa twitter...god, now I have to get on. LeDuc, you are lying if you say you don't remember these people!

LeDuc said...

I remember Morrisey (flower-waving bigot he turned out to be) and Prince. But from the wrong side. The rest mean nothing to me. I am more a Tom Robinson fan. Happy days.

Pavlusha34 said...

Morrisey and bigotry raises the deep question: can you love the art and despise the artist? This time, while I am horrified at some of the spew he projects, he owns a large portion of my music collection - I love the art!

Oh, Tom Robinson is good!

Tom said...

Bob Boilen is genuinely old (unlike all you posers, he was THERE, man) and he brings me more good new music than almost anyone else, albeit sometimes tempered with the sensibilities of age.

Pavlusha34 said...

Bob Boilen accepted me! I feel so groovy!

Lady V said...

Wendy and Lisa FOREVER! And Apollonia will be the name of my first child....