Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Le Moroc and new love!

Back from almost two weeks in Morocco and had an inkling that the music would be good...little did I know I would have a new love!

Nuru Kane (playing in London on May 23!) had introduced me to Gnawa, but know I know where it came from, Le Moroc! And one source was a man from Essaouira named Mahmoud Guinia. Can't find any of his stuff online, but is a serious coincidence that it seems Guinia is in the picture I posted a few weeks ago! Which means I must go to the Festival Gnaoua et Musiques du Monde as this seems to be the place to hear it!

Our new friend, Nabil, gave us some instruction on the finer art of the guembri and I am quickly becoming an expert in the krakebs. M loved it. I almost bought a guembri, but thought I might want to learn just a wee bit of guitar before such an investment. But I was that moved and clearly with good reason...if wikipedia is to be believed, Jimi Hendrix himself stayed on with Guinia to play and learn from him.

2 comments:

albeo said...

Nice to have you back guys! And glad you've finally expanded your horizons beyond Britney Spears.

Anonymous said...

paul, don't learn guitar before buying a guembri, that doesn't make sense. buy the instrument you really want to play! one doesn't guarantee the other, and i believe the guembri will be easier to play, ~laure